Director, Product Marketing
Director of Product Marketing
SPAN invented the smart electric panel. We transformed a century-old appliance into an intelligent device that can sense and control the sources and uses of electricity in your home. This makes going solar simpler, adding battery-based backup more valuable, gas appliances dispensable, EV fast-charging possible, appliance breakdowns preventable and generally makes people care about the energy that powers their home.
SPAN was founded by Tesla’s former head of energy products, the team that created and deployed the Tesla Powerwall, the world’s first mass-market and still most popular home battery.
The SPAN team is seeking an experienced leader to join the sales strategy team and lead Product Marketing. In this highly cross-functional role, you will have the opportunity to architect and execute our product marketing strategy, from honing value propositions around current and future products, to driving the commercial plans and campaigns that engage SPAN customers to be a part of enabling electrification for all - for the benefit of the business and for the benefit of the planet.
You’ll also lead the commercial effort to launch new products - from early testing and piloting to general availability and ongoing success. From strategy and setting the vision, to tactical execution and program management - this is a dynamic role for an experienced leader who has direct experience ensuring success at every stage of the process. We’re looking for an adaptable player who has a track record identifying and leveraging qualitative and quantitative customer insights to identify and solve problems that continue to enhance SPAN’s position in the market.
If you are passionate about energy systems and home electrification, are a strategic thinker who can translate voice of the customer research into sales and marketing strategy, and love to use your communication skills to drive alignment and execution around a cohesive vision - we want you to join the team and drive impact for you career and for the climate.
Architect SPAN’s product marketing strategy and develop solutions that drive growth
- Work collaboratively with the product, sales, engineering, and marketing teams to unify efforts that lead to a shared understanding of what problems SPAN solves/what benefits SPAN provides, and for whom
- Develop the resources, assets, programs, and governance structure to ensure the vision takes hold and unites SPAN teams around a shared set of priority focus areas
- Communicate effectively across stakeholders from from product managers to the C-suite; use influence and drive buy-in
- Lead the process to clarify, prioritize, and drive alignment around customer needs across all groups at SPAN - unify the company around the vision, insights, problems to solve, and the corresponding commercial opportunities to seize
- Develop deep empathy and intuition around customer needs; build tools and programs that help deepen this awareness across the business
- Lead customer research efforts (both sustained programs and ad-hoc projects for specific explorations); own this area end-to-end from identifying the need to conduct research to completing it with internal resources OR identifying external agency support
- Work with the product team to conduct TAM analysis to size and prioritize opportunity areas
- Play a key role in driving SPAN’s growth, by developing compelling, differentiated value propositions that deeply connect to customer needs
- Lead the translation effort between SPAN’s features and benefits and customer priorities / pain points
- Support other teams in applying messaging consistently across mediums and customer touchpoints
- Work with the sales and marketing teams to develop impactful campaigns and programming for all customer groups, in order to drive increased adoption of SPAN
- Customer groups include consumers/homeowners, B2B (installer / distribution), utility/regulated groups and new business development prospects
- Own the process and success of the commercial release / go-to-market process, from testing and piloting new products to general sales availability
- Translate ongoing customer and commercial team feedback into digestible product requirements for future product development
- Experience building and leading product marketing at growth stage and mature companies
- Experience directly developing winning value propositions and messaging positioning that has led to commercial outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams and drive project execution
- Hands-on experience leading product go-to-market at every stage of the life cycle, from testing and piloting to full release (plus subsequent feedback loops)
- Experience working with product and sales teams to drive alignment, prioritization, and results
- Deep experience identifying and leveraging the right qualitative and quantitative methods to understand customer needs
- Demonstrated ability to lead groups through the creative process of developing and testing solutions
- Experience in the residential energy sector across hardware and software (home solar and storage systems, utility programs and rate structures)
- Experience with connected home/IoT products (connected devices, smart appliances, assistants)
- Experience at product-led companies
- Experience at early-growth stage companies
- Experience in sales
The U.S. base salary range for this position is $195,800 - $231,990 plus benefits, equity and variable compensation for Sales-related roles. This range represents SPAN’s good faith estimate of competitively-priced salary for the role based on national, real-time industry data from companies of a similar growth stage. This range reflects minimum and maximum new hire salaries for the role across US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by location and individual factors including relevant skills, experience and education or training. This range correlates to the relative level of the candidate we believe we need for the role and may require an adjustment for candidates of a different level.
Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the location this role is based during the hiring process.
Life at SPAN
Headquartered in San Francisco’s vibrant SoMa neighborhood, we are an eclectic group of creative thinkers who value open communication, teamwork, and a ‘make it happen’ approach to addressing complex challenges.
SPAN embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We’re hiring talented individuals who are driven by success and are passionate about shaping the future of renewable energy. If that sounds like you, we’d love for you to consider joining the rapidly growing team at SPAN.
⚡ Competitive compensation + equity grants at a well-funded, venture-backed company
⚡ Comprehensive benefits (including medical; dental, vision, life and disability insurance)
⚡ Comfortable, sunny office space located near BART and Caltrain public transit
⚡ Strong focus on teambuilding and company culture (events, meet-ups, clubs)
⚡ Flexible hours and unlimited PTO