Associate General Counsel, Open Exchange
About the Team
We are looking for an experienced attorney to join our busy, collaborative legal team as a Senior Corporate Counsel focused primarily on supporting Open Exchange (OX), our team dedicated to serving institutional single-family rental real estate investors. In this role, you will partner with OX management, product, business development, and operational teams to properly document customer and vendor relationships and complex transactions, and advise regarding risk and compliance for OX products and processes. The ideal candidate will have a variety of experience in residential real estate brokerage and regulatory, data licensing and complex transactional matters, and be curious, self-motivated and comfortable diving deep into emerging regulations, market trends and novel issues, evaluating risk, and driving mission-critical initiatives and transactions.
This is a great opportunity to grow your expertise and work collaboratively with other members of the Opendoor and Open Exchange legal teams across a broad range of legal areas, with a primary focus on product counseling and commercial contracts.
This role reports to the Associate General Counsel, Head of Open Exchange Legal and can be based in any of our US offices or be remote, with a preference for West Coast working hours.
- Provide advice and counsel on a range of product and commercial matters, with a focus on residential real estate brokerage and data licensing.
- Draft and negotiate a range of contracts, from strategic customer and counterparty agreements to standard terms and conditions, calibrating risk such that you “get to yes” while protecting the company’s interests.
- Counsel Open Exchange business on legal issues related to new products (and new evolutions of existing products) from inception to launch and beyond, spotting issues and recommending solutions with a customer-first approach.
- Assist with complex transactional matters.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in litigation, corporate, legal operations, and other legal subject matter areas to ensure smooth product launches and commercial negotiations.
- JD from an accredited law school, and active Bar membership in good standing in the state in which you will work (or eligible to register as a Registered In-House Counsel). Preference for candidates licensed in CA.
- 8+ years of substantive experience, preferably from a combination of law firm and in-house work.
- Experience in the real estate industry and/or familiarity with federal and local regulatory frameworks applicable to products in the real estate space (including RESPA, preferably).
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial transactions, including partnership, licensing, and vendor agreements.
- Experience drafting and negotiating data licensing agreements, and experience reviewing product plans involving data sharing and security issues.
- Experience with requirements that vary at the local level.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team-oriented attitude.
- Versatility, adaptability, maturity, discretion and calm leadership.
- Strong organizational skills, and ability to prioritize (and reprioritize) and manage a constantly evolving list of internal projects and outside counsel matters.
- Ability to evaluate risk in light of business and practical considerations and make clear recommendations.
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to listen, first, and then develop and clearly articulate legal advice to a variety of stakeholders, in a variety of formats (verbally and in both brief and longer-form written formats) and on a variety of timelines.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial approach to solving problems and industry innovation.
Remote roles in the US are available in all states EXCEPT Hawaii, Alaska, Montana, or any US Territories.
The base salary range for this position in Colorado, Connecticut, Washington, and New Jersey is $196,000 - $297,000yr, and in California and New York City is $216,000 - $297,000yr. Base salary may vary depending on relevant experience, skills, geographic location, and business needs. We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, 12 paid holidays per year, medical/dental/vision insurance, basic life insurance, and 401(k) to eligible employees.