Area Clinic Manager - Bay Area
With a technology-forward approach and a deep commitment to our people, Modern Animal is building the next generation of general practice veterinary care—one that balances the needs of their teams just as much as pet owners and their animals. Our teams are equipped with the tools, structure and support they need to practice the highest quality of medicine, without compromising on the boundaries between work and life.
What you can expect at Modern Animal:
- Warm, modern clinic environments that put you, the client, and the pet at ease
- A 24/7 virtual care team there for our patients as an added layer of support
- A dedicated in-clinic support team empowered to be involved more deeply in care
- A growth oriented organization ever evolving to build a better place for all
- A vibrant, supportive, blame-free culture made up of people who are all here to change veterinary medicine for the better
Who we're looking for in this role:
A successful person in this role will have exceptional interpersonal and leadership skills, be results-oriented with a focus on quality, and be ready to hit the ground running in a fast-growing & fun environment with infinite growth potential. They must be highly personable, outgoing, and must work well independently as well as part of a team.
The Area Clinic Manager - under the supervision of the Vice President of Operations - is responsible for delivering a world-class experience for all team members. This position interacts directly with our clinical teams and will lead and guide each clinic through opening, expansion, change management, and growth.
This person will spend 90% of their time in clinics throughout the Bay Area or working remotely from home. Travel to other Modern Animal markets will be required as we continue to expand along with availability on nights and weekends as needed to support the team. Occasional travel will be required for training and onboarding.
Duties and Responsibilities
- People Leadership
- Support, develop, mentor Clinic Managers and other clinic leadership to manage the performance, development, and training of team members
- Partner with the clinical team to ensure medical excellence, serving as a key resource and partner to the lead veterinarians and Area Medical Leader
- Be the connection for communication between clinics, between the office team and the clinics, and within the clinic through various communication channels
- Initiate and update weekly care team updates
- Support the interview and hiring process
- Talent Pipeline
- Focus on employee performance and growth potential, to ensure the clinic is operating with a high-functioning and high-potential team across all clinic roles. Support training initiatives so that employees continue to grow and have the tools they need.
- Build a talent pipeline (a team “bench”) that can grow with Modern Animal through promotions, or transfers to new clinics in area and across MA markets overtime
- Ensure training programs and talent development programs are put in place in each clinic, and share feedback with corporate stakeholders to ensure constant refinement and focus on team performance and growth
- Lead and execute profitable and operationally sound clinics
- Manage clinic schedules and staffing deployment to ensure the right people are deployed in the right roles at the right times
- Focus on driving appointment and clinic utilization through a relentless focus on talent development and team deployment (right people in right roles at the right times)
- Support Clinic Leadership to drive inputs that impact clinic P&L
- Ensure teams are adequately trained and supported for rollouts of new processes, procedures, systems
- Create and maintain the feedback loop between the clinic teams and operations leadership, striving for continuous improvement
- Partner cross-functionally and collaboratively across all teams, building trusting relationships and a cohesive culture
- Work with the New Clinic Openings team to support clinic openings end to end, providing guidance and feedback on all aspects leading up to and after opening
Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years of relevant experience required, healthcare or veterinary industry preferred
- Prior leadership and multisite experience required
- Ability to manage through change and bring people together amidst growth
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work thoroughly & independently, requesting appropriate assistance when necessary.
- Ability to be in field 90% of the time with occasional additional travel
- Availability on nights and weekends, as needed to support the clinic teams
What you can expect from us
- Excellent medical, vision, & dental coverage with various options to choose from
- 401k savings plan with a company match
- Flexible time off & paid parental leave
- Free membership to Modern Animal for your furry family members and discounts on extra services
- Free membership to One Medical for primary care
- Access to behavioral and mental health services through Ginger
- WFH stipends to help you set up your home office while we build out an office
- A collaborative team who has your back and will welcome you as part of our pack
The pay range for this position is $104,500 - $143,000 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus, relocation bonus, and equity grant units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the California Pay Transparency Act. Base pay information is based on geographic location.
We believe an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture and challenge business as usual. We strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition, and we strive to provide all candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process, or if you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more equitable or accessible, please let us know!