Director of Accounting - Europe (English & French speaking)
Industrious is the largest premium workplace-as-a-service provider and home to the highest-rated workplaces in the industry. In Europe, Hana by Industrious UK joined the Group in May 2021 along with Welkin & Meraki in May 2022 to form Industrious Europe, and we are now building a world-class product and team that is redefining the flexible workspace and beyond.
Everything we do comes down to creating great days for teams of all sizes and stages, including our own. We believe that what makes a great day at work is the people on your team, and the problems you get to solve together. We’re looking for people who love thinking outside the box and thrive in a truly collaborative setting. As teammates we encourage new ideas and toast every win. We’re excited about having a meaningful impact on people’s workplace experience.
Great days also start when everyone can be their authentic self at work. Diversity of backgrounds, thoughts, and ideas is critical to our success in delivering great workplace experiences, both for our members and for each other. Industrious is committed to creating an inclusive, respectful environment that embraces your individuality and quirkiness. You are valued for who YOU are. We celebrate our people as individuals who can accomplish great things when we work together as one team.
To learn more, visit www.industriousoffice.com/careers.
About the Role:
Scaling any business as rapidly as we are is both exciting and challenging. We’re lucky to be working with a product we know thousands of people across the world love, a strong financial position, and a team of fantastic people. Our task for the years ahead is to build off our exceptional business and team fundamentals to aggressively grow our network and become landlords’ partner of choice for all flexible commercial uses.
As our Director of Accounting - Europe, you will lead our French-speaking accounting team based in Western Europe for Industrious’ operations in Europe and the United Kingdom. This is a remote position based in the United Kingdom or Western Europe, and reports directly to the English-speaking and US-based Assistant Controller. The Director of Accounting - Europe will play a crucial role in managing all aspects of the Europe and United Kingdom month-end close accounting, financial reporting, tax and VAT reporting, compliance with local reporting standards, and reporting and coordination with the Company’s global FP&A team and leadership.
You are a self-starter and analytical problem solver, with a strong accounting background, organizational skills, and experience leading a team. You will bring strong progressive accounting experience and enthusiasm for partnership to the team in order to support the Company’s rapid expansion, and the Company’s regular landlord and statutory reporting needs.
- Leadership and Team Management:
- Lead and manage a small team of accountants.
- Foster a collaborative and high-performance team culture.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and training to team members.
- Be a resource to Europe and United Kingdom leadership in providing insight into results and collaborating to support accurate and timely accounting reflective of business operations
- Collaborate with US-based FP&A, Accounting and other Corporate stakeholders to meet internal reporting objectives,
- Month-end Close:
- Responsible for the month-end close process for European and UK entities in US GAAP, ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams to gather necessary information for financial reporting.
- Maintain books and records, reconciliations, and internal controls
- Improve and develop processes and procedures, drive efficiency and adoption of system automations
- Tax, Compliance and Reporting:
- Ensure compliance with local accounting and statutory financial statement filing requirements
- Manage VAT service providers in the timely and accurate filing of VAT returns
- Coordinate and ensure compliance with other local income, property and miscellaneous taxes
- Fluent in English and French
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive accounting experience, with experience working with US-based and US GAAP reporting entities.
- CPA (or equivalent) credential is required.
- Big 4 accounting experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience leading and developing an accounting team
- Understanding of European VAT regimes
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate accounting concepts across a wide range of stakeholders and teams.
- Real estate or hospitality experience a plus
- Extremely strong attention to detail and ownership of assigned areas is a must.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, with intermediate/advanced Excel
- Previous experience with ERP systems and other accounting software (NetSuite, OneStream, Coupa, Zuora, Stripe) preferred.
- Proficient knowledge of most financial statement captions, including, cash, fixed assets, accounting for variable and fixed rate leases, revenues, COGS, SG&A expenses, off-balance sheet commitments, VIEs/management contracts, etc.
Compensation: Competitive base salary + benefits
You will also be eligible for an annual bonus calculated based on individual and company performance.
Base and bonus compensation are just two components of Industrious’ total compensation package that may be available to employees.