Senior Engineer, Cement-based Materials
ICON is looking for a Senior Engineer who will lead the development of new technologies to improve and localize our proprietary cementitious binder
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant industry experience.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license, or ability to obtain within the 6 months of hire.
- M.S. in Civil Engineering with a focus on cement-based materials, or equivalent.
- Expert knowledge of fundamentals of concrete and cement-based materials science and technology.
- Experience in the evaluation of cement-based materials using standardized (ASTM, EN, ISO) and one-off test methods and procedures.
- Understanding of concrete-related codes, regulations, and specifications (ACI 301, ACI 318, ACI 332, ICC AC 509, etc.).
- Experience in the development, optimization, and performance troubleshooting of concrete mixtures and/or other cement-based products (grouts, dry mortars, etc.).
- A quick learner capable of understanding the operational aspects of hardware, electrical, controls, and software systems utilized by the company.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and/or supervising teams and other professionals, including multidisciplinary teams and/or laboratory technicians.
- Experience in analyzing large data sets and ability to draw data-driven conclusions.
- Ability to prioritize and stay cool in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to ensure the company’s goals and objectives are met.
- Willingness to be “hands-on” both in the laboratory and in the field.
- Must be willing to perform a wide range of tasks on a daily basis (e.g. transition from office work to fieldwork at a moment’s notice).
- Must be prepared to work, in part, in extreme environments: temps > 100 °F or below freezing, sun, rain, mud, lack of electricity, etc.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- This position may require travel up to 30%.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in Civil Engineering.
- Previous experience in 3D printing with cementitious materials.
- Sound understanding of concrete structural engineering and analysis.
- Previous start-up experience, and/or a resourceful innovative nature with an ability to streamline or develop efficient processes.
- Experience with a dry mortar production process.
- An engineer in nature eager to learn various aspects of the large-scale 3D printing process (hardware, control and software systems, architecture, and design).
- A skilled user and/or ability to quickly learn how to use various software tools for data analysis, data acquisition, and cement-based materials performance modeling.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.