Senior Accounting Manager - Spinnaker
Title: Senior Accounting Manager - Spinnaker
Location: Bedminster, NJ
Reporting To: Corporate Controller, Spinnaker
Spinnaker is a national property and casualty insurance company rated A- VIII by A.M., that is a wholly owned and independently operated subsidiary of Hippo Insurance. With the capability to offer admitted and surplus lines insurance products in 51 states and jurisdictions, Spinnaker partners with program administrators and managing general agents to offer strategic insurance solutions. We target innovative product market leaders across both personal and commercial lines, specialty lines, and traditional and non-standard fronting opportunities.
We are currently recruiting a Senior Accounting Manager, who will work in a fast-paced cross-functional capacity. You will work closely with the Company’s Finance, Underwriting, and Operations teams and be exposed to all facets of an insurance company’s operations. This position reports to the Corporate Controller.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage the program financial reporting process for Hippo’s Insurance-as-a-Service and Hippo Home Insurance Program business segments. Take ownership over the direct and ceded economics for multiple programs
- Work collaboratively with cross functional departments to improve financial reporting and provide support to the business
- Manage aspects of the GAAP (SEC) and Statutory financial statement close process in accordance with the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close calendar for multiple subsidiaries
- Work proactively with financial operations, underwriters, claims, and program administrators to resolve reconciling items in a timely manner
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with third parties including program administrators, managing general agents, and third-party vendors
- Identify and implement best practices to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting and financial reporting function
- Review and interpret reinsurance contracts (Quota Share, Excess of Loss (“XOL”), facultative) and propose and implement appropriate accounting treatment
- Review quarterly and annual GAAP and Statutory financial statements, footnotes, and schedules
- Research technical GAAP and Statutory accounting literature, prepare and maintain accounting position memos and policies, and prepare and maintain standard operating procedures
- Support external audits and prepare responses to comment letters
- Oversee the internal control environment ensuring appropriate design and operating effectiveness
- Support implementation and operational procedures related to SOX 404
- Assist on special projects and other duties as assigned by management
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- 4+ years in finance and accounting roles (public accounting or private)
- Property & casualty insurance industry
- Expert knowledge of US GAAP accounting principles
- Advanced Excel skills and experience with financial reporting systems
- Internal controls experience
Nice to Haves:
- Knowledge of Insurance US Statutory accounting principle
- Understanding of insurance financial operations including underwriting, claims, and reinsurance
- Experience working with Program Administrators, Managing General Agents, and Claims Third Party Administrators
- Experienced with ceded reinsurance accounting
- Experience with NetSuit
- SOX experience
Benefits and Perks:
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits - 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401(k), long & short-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Training and Career Growth - Paid training opportunities and countless internal career growth opportunities.
- Award-Winning Culture - Recognized by BuiltIn and Inc. Magazine as a top place to work - we value integrity, inclusiveness, empathy, and being proactive and dedicated.
- Flexible Time Off - You know when and how you should recharge.
- Little Hippos Program - We offer 12 weeks of parental leave for primary and secondary caregiver.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.