Stack Mechanical Engineering Co-Op
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
Electric Hydrogen is searching for a Stack Mechanical Engineering Co-Op to work on the latest, game changing technology. At Electric Hydrogen, coops are treated no differently than our engineers and are expected to be an integral part of the team. You will use your interdisciplinary skills to create compelling mechanical components & system designs. You are a self-motivated team player excited to build a new generation of electrolysis equipment. You will work onsite in our Natick location and report into the Lead Mechanical Engineer.
- Participate in the product development cycles of electrolyzer stacks and key components such as plates, seals, electrode assemblies, compression hardware, and fluid interfaces.
- Perform design and analysis of electrolyzer stacks and components relative to requirements.
- Analyses may consist of pressure drop and fluid distribution analysis using computational fluid dynamics (CFD), structural finite element analysis (FEA) for component deflection, mechanical failure, and sealing and heat transfer and mass transport analyses.
- Develop and document requirements based on applications, interfaces, codes, and standards.
- Generate 3-D models and drawings of electrolyzer stacks and components.
- Perform tolerance analysis of components and assemblies.
- Develop and write part and material specifications.
- Work with supply chain and suppliers to procure parts and materials and write and oversee plans to verify they meet drawings and specifications.
- Develop in-situ and ex-situ design verification plans and work with test engineers, suppliers to conduct the design verification and materials testing. In some cases, directly carry out the in-situ and ex-situ design verification and material tests, data analyses, and reporting.
- Pursuing BS or MS in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering or similar
- 3D modeling and drawing skills
- Tolerance analysis
- Requirements documentation, maintenance, and verification
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Structural Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
- Seal/gasket analysis and design
- Basic knowledge of fluid dynamics, heat transfer, mechanics of materials, and mass transport
- Experience with electrolyzers, fuel cells, and batteries
Compensation and Benefits
- All students will have the opportunity to develop communication skills, gain laboratory experience and benefit from a valuable experience within a start-up culture while learning about the energy industry.
- $1,500 transportation stipend will be provided or $3,000 relocation stipend (depending on location)
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!