Senior Process Engineer
Electric Hydrogen Co.
Electric Hydrogen’s mission is to make molecules to decarbonize our world! Our outstanding people are our most important asset and will allow us to deliver hydrogen from renewable electrolysis for heavy industry, at prices below fossil fuels.
In this role, you will use your experience to develop ultrapure water, oxygen, and hydrogen handling processes for PEM electrolysis plants. This will require working with internal teams, suppliers, and external partners to ensure that process units meet product requirements. You possess the skills and experience required to enable scale-up of PEM electrolysis plants by deploying process industry tools and workflows to advance cost optimization, deliver process safety, and enable the penetration of renewable hydrogen into the industrial value chain.
You will split time between our offices in San Jose and San Carlos, CA with an allowable hybrid work schedule. Travel is expected up to 20% of your time, primarily domestic, to supplier and customer sites.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design process plants from conceptual process flow to detailed process and instrumentation diagrams
- Work with stack and cell teams to model and translate electrochemical activity into plant level process models and designs
- Translate Product Requirements to equipment specifications, drawings, and narratives
- Specify phase separation units, heat exchange equipment, and gas purification equipment
- Index process optimization parameters to guide design decisions and meet product requirements
- Perform heat and material balances of PEM water electrolysis plants
- Work cross-functionally and with outside parties to generate thoroughly reviewed and well documented designs
- Define and bound complex process-related studies necessary to inform your design e.g. CFD, Gas Dispersion, Heat Transfer Calculations
- Review heat exchange, vessel, and other process equipment sizing calculations from suppliers.
- Ensure process safety through participating and engagement in process safety analysis e.g. HAZOP, LOPA
- Up to 20% Travel to Supplier, Customer and other EH2 Sites
Experience and Qualifications
- 8+ Years Experience in Process Engineering in a related industry
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Proficiency in ASPEN Plus/HYSYS or similar process modeling tools
- Experience with pilot scale-up to demonstration or commercial deployment
- Heat transfer equipment sizing/calculation experience is a plus
- Electrochemical process experience is a plus
Compensation & Benefits:
[San Carlos] Senior Process Engineering (P4)
Actual base salary offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
Base salary is just one part of Electric Hydrogen’s total rewards package. We feel strongly that our team should not have to worry about having quality healthcare. In addition to the base salary offered, the hired applicant may receive:
- an equity grant
- time off programs
- a $75/month cell phone allowance
- a 4% employer 401(k) match
- 100% fully paid premiums for employees and their families: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term & long-term disability coverage
- a discretionary bonus
Electric Hydrogen’s benefits programs are subject to eligibility requirements.
COVID-19 vaccination required for all employees and contingent workers, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. All prospective hires will be expected to provide proof of vaccination to attend an onsite interview or at their first day of employment.
About Electric Hydrogen
Electric Hydrogen is a team of the world's experts in scaling technologies for the post-carbon world, with a proven record in transforming the grid and transportation sectors. Backed by some of the world's top venture capital firms, we design and manufacture electrolytic hydrogen systems matched to renewable power sources to create green hydrogen by splitting water. We are building a cost-effective and transformative path between renewable energy and multiple large industrial sectors. Abundant and low-cost renewable energy sources will power the world, and Electric Hydrogen technology will use this energy to decarbonize industry through sustainable materials. We were founded in 2020 and are based in California and Massachusetts.
Electric Hydrogen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace for all to belong. We are aware that people from historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We are actively working on efforts to change this social norm. If you are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply!