Cement/Concrete Materials Engineer
Oakland, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Brimstone is seeking a materials engineer to work on decarbonizing the cement and concrete industry. This individual will work in an R&D environment, performing experiments and conducting analysis related to Brimstone’s carbon-negative Portland cement and supplementary cementitious materials (SCM). If you possess a strong technical background in cementitious materials, are passionate about decarbonizing construction materials, and consider yourself highly organized and ambitious, learn more about the role and apply to join our team below.
- The individual will perform experiments and conduct analysis related to Brimstone’s Portland cement and supplementary cementitious materials (SCM). The work scope spans multiple areas within cement/concrete materials engineering, including cement hydration, pozzolanic reactivity, physical properties such as strength, chemical properties such as chemical composition, durability, etc.
- Excellent understanding of cement and concrete fundamentals is required, as well as demonstrated R&D experience with these materials.
- This individual should already be proficient in a wide range of experimental methods (e.g., x-ray diffraction, thermogravimetric analysis, mortar/concrete batching, etc), and eager to learn and develop new methods when needed. The individual should be efficient in conducting literature review and familiar with relevant technical resource areas (eg, ASTM, ACI, etc).
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering (CE) or materials science and engineering (MSE), with an emphasis in cement/concrete materials.
- 5+ years of post-bachelor’s degree experience in cement/concrete materials R&D. Relevant academic research experience can be included.
- Can independently develop a testing program and communicate technical results.
- Strong commitment to work safety.
- Strong affinity for teamwork and goal-orientated work.
- Master’s or PhD degree in CE or MSE, with an emphasis in cement/concrete materials.
- Licensed Professional Engineer-Civil in the State of California.
- Professional project experience in the architecture-engineering-construction (AEC) industry.
This position is onsite at our lab located in Oakland, CA.
The annual salary range for this position is $120,000 - $150,000